AIM OF CODE: A simple explanation to the School attendance guidelines as issued by the Ministry of Education and Employment.
All students are expected to be punctual for the Morning assembly as this is a roll call. If the student fails to turn up at assembly point, he/she would be marked absent and you will receive an sms (this is an automatic process).
Attendence percentages of a student will be inserted in the transcript. Thus if a student is absent frequently from school this is going to show in his records on the Secondary School Certificate and Profile (SCC&P).
Guidlines: Attendance and Absenteeism
Any form of absenteeism from school has to be covered by a note or a certificate which justifies the absence.
The school has took the initiative of providing a standard School Absenteeism Note which will be given to the students: kindly photocopy, fill, return to school clerk. This must be used in each of the cases below:
- If a student is sick for 1 or two or three consecutive days than a note should be brought explaining that the reason for the absence.
- If a student has a medical/dental appointment a note must be presented…ideally the school should be adviced before so that they will not be marked absent. The appointment should be attached to the School Absenteeism Note.
- If there is a family funeral. The student must be covered by the School Absenteeism Note
- If student comes to school and feels sick. The member of the family who is picking up the student must carry the ID card and sign the ‘Early leavers‘ Register. (This is very important for the security of the students)
- Student absent for four days or more must cover themselves by a Medical Certificate dated from the first day of their absence.
- The white record Card must be signed and stamped by the doctor otherwise the medical certificte cannot be accepted by the school
- Students being sick for more than five days: For every five days a certificate must be presented to the school. Student cannot produce a certificate that covers 15 days even when the medical condition is of such nature (eg chicken pox, missels….etc). One certificate every 5 days must be brought to school.
- After 9 days (may not be consecutive) of unauthorized absence the school has to forward the name of the students for further investigation.
- All Medical certificates must arrive to school within three days of the closing date .
IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT THE WHITE MEDICAL CARD IS SIGNED AND STAMPED BY THE DOCTOR AS THE SCHOOL CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ACCEPT MEDICAL CERTIFICATES WITHOUT THE WHITE CARD.
2. Unauthorised Absence:
- Students are not allowed to go abroad unless for a medical reason, family issue, family funeral or educational visit abroad. Permission is granted only after note/ documents are presented to the school.
- Families eligible for the supplement issued by the government are to note that unauthorized absence will affect this allowances (95% attendance is required)